WE'VE MOVED!! You can now find us at Sunshine and Spoons!

Monday, November 26, 2012

I'll Love You Forever

"Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch was one of my favorite books when I was a kid.

Love You Forever
It's still one of my favorite children's books.  I get nostalgic and warm fuzzy feelings just looking at the cover.  I tear up when I cuddle with my kids to read it to them. 

But every time I read the book to my children, I lie.

In case you don't know, the book is about a mother who rocks her son to sleep through all stages of his life and sings him a lullaby that goes like this (don't worry, I'm not going to actually sing it to you):
"I'll love you forever
I'll like you for always
As long as I'm living
My baby you'll be."

I truly love my children.  They are my joy, and my reason for living.  I would die for my children.   They will always be my babies, even when they have babies of their own.

But I don't always like them.

Yup.  I said it.  It's taboo to say stuff like that, especially to other moms, but I'm doin' it.

Right now, both of my older children are going through incredibly difficult phases.  For four year old Princess, it includes whining, arguing, disrespect, babyish behavior, foot-stamping tantrums, and much more.  Two year old Little Man specializes in whining and screaming tantrums that go on forever.  And seriously, at the end of an 11 hour day with constant behavior like that from both children, I don't really like them.  I love them; that will never change.  But I don't like them.  Because of the rough stage we're in, I find it hard to like them quite a bit of the time.

The good thing is that this stuff that's been going on is a phase.  It will end, and I will get my sweet children back.  They will be more likeable soon (very soon, hopefully!).

In the meantime, I'm surviving off the sweet little moments like when Princess sits down to read Little Man "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" or when Little Man comes up to me and rubs my back just because he wants to "touch my Mommy".  I'm also working on actively enjoying my children's company.  That means that whenever I can, I sit down and focus on each one individually, especially whichever one is having the hardest day.  I'm spending time each day praying for them, and for me to have patience (and lots of it!) in this stage we're in.  I'm trying to pay attention to the things I appreciate and do like about them right now.

But for now, my mantra is "This too shall pass."



Thanks so much for visiting Supermommy!...Or Not.  Please take a moment to "like" me on facebook"!     
   

1 comment:

Thank you for your comment! I read and appreciate every one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...