WE'VE MOVED!! You can now find us at Sunshine and Spoons!

Friday, January 23, 2015

Loving My Body Even When I Hate It

I've always hated my mid-section.  I remember asking my mom if I was fat when I was 6 or 7 because I didn't like how much my stomach stuck out.  Even at my thinnest, I never had a flat stomach.  At 10 months postpartum with my fourth child, I have to be very careful how I dress so my stomach doesn't make me look pregnant.  After being pregnant four times, my stomach is saggy, wrinkled, and covered in ugly stretch marks.

Last week, Princess came in my room to ask me something while I was getting dressed and I saw her staring at my stomach.  After a minute, she asked me this question, "Mommy, why does your tummy look funny and fat?"

Ouch.

Don't you love how kids say exactly what they're thinking?

In that moment, I had a choice.  I could pass my insecurities about my looks on to my impressionable daughter or I could teach her that even when something doesn't look perfect, it can still be beautiful.

I smiled at her and said, "God gave me four babies that grew in my tummy and made it really big.  Do you remember how big my tummy was when Little Dude was still in it?"

Princess nodded.


"My tummy might look a little funny now, but when I see it, I think about how lucky I am that God gave me FOUR babies.  I love my tummy because it's where you and your brothers and sister grew until you were big and strong enough to come out."

Princess smiled as she said, "You're pretty lucky, Mommy!  It's good that your tummy looks like that because now you have me!"


So, do I wish my stomach was flat and not covered in stretch marks and wrinkles? You bet!  But, thanks to Princess's question, I can finally see my stomach as something other than ugly. 



2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic way of seeing things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also 10 months postpartum - though with my 7th baby. I'm so there. My dear three year old son helped knead down the bread dough with me and commented, "Momma, this feels like your belly!". Ouch. So not the abs of steel I'd love to have. But... this belly has grown babies. Seven of them. I'm so lucky. Thanks for the post - and the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I read and appreciate every one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...